- Morris, S. D. and J. Zhang.
“Validating China’s Output Data Using Satellite Observations.”
Macroeconomic Dynamics. In Press.
- Zhang, P., O. Deschenes, K. Meng, and J. Zhang (2018).
"Temperature Effects on Productivity and Factor Reallocation: Evidence from a Half Million Chinese Manufacturing Plants."
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 88: 1–17.
Zhang, J. and Q. Mu (2017).
"Air pollution and defensive expenditures: Evidence from particulate-filtering facemasks."
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Forthcoming.
- Media coverage: Science Daily, EurekAlert, Noozhawk, Futurity, Santa Barbara Edhat
Yang, Y., J. Zhang, and C. Wang (2017).
"Forecasting China's Carbon Intensity -- Is China on Track to Comply with Its Copenhagen Commitment?"
Energy Journal, 39(2). [Preprint]
Zhang, J., Z. Wang, and X. Du (2017).
"Lessons learned from China's regional carbon market pilots."
Economics of Energy and Environmental Policy, 6(2): 1-20. (Invited Submission)
Zhang, P., J. Zhang, and M. Chen (2017).
"Economic impacts of climate change on agriculture: The importance of relative humidity and other climate variables."
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 83:8–31.
- Media coverage: Council on Foreign Relations, UCSD News, Mordern Experess
Wang, C., Y. Yang, and J. Zhang (2015).
"China's sectoral strategies in energy conservation and carbon mitigation."
Climate Policy, 15(S1): S60-S80. (Invited Submission)
Zhang, J., and C. Wang (2014).
"China’s hydrofluorocarbon challenge."
Nature Climate Change, 4: 943-945.
Ghanem, D., and J. Zhang (2014).
"'Effortless perfection:' Do Chinese cities manipulate air pollution data?"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 68(2): 203-225.
- Media coverage: China Daily, The Nation
Bi, J., O. R. Young, R. Costanza, L. Liu, R. Kasperson, Y. Qi, D. Guttman, K. Jiang, D. Mazmanian, S. Zhang, J. Zhang, G. Osherenko, R. Percival, B. Zhang, H. Wang, P. He, and M. Liu (2014).
"Same dream, different beds: Can America and China take effective steps to solve the climate problem?"
Global Environmental Change, 24:2-4.
Liu, A., and J. Zhang (2013).
"Fiscal Decentralization and Environmental Infrastructure in China."
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy (Contributions), 13(2): 733-759.
Zhang, J., J. Fleming, and R. Goericke (2012).
"Fishermen's perspectives on climate variability."
Marine Policy, 36(2):466-472.
Zhang, J. and M. D. Smith (2011).
"Estimation of a generalized fishery model: A two-stage approach."
The Review of Economics and Statistics, 93(2):690-699.
Zhang, J., and C. Wang (2011).
"Co-benefits and additionality of the Clean Development Mechanism: An empirical analysis."
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 62(2):140-154.
Zhang, J., and M. D. Smith (2011).
"Heterogeneous response to marine reserve formation: A sorting model approach."
Environmental and Resource Economics, 49(3):311-325.
Li, S., Y. Liu, and J. Zhang (2011).
"Lose some, save some: Obesity, automobile demand, and gasoline consumption."
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 61(1):52-66.
- Media coverage: CNPolitics.org, CENET, Sina.com
Zhang, J. (2011).
"Behavioral response to stock abundance in exploiting common-pool resources."
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy (Contributions), 11(1):52.
Smith, M.D., J. Zhang, and F. C. Coleman (2008).
"Econometric modeling of fisheries with complex life histories: Avoiding biological management failures."
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 55(3):265-280.
Smith, M. D., J. Zhang, and F. C. Coleman (2007).
"Structural modeling of marine reserves with Bayesian estimation."
Marine Resource Economics, 22(2):121-136.
- Media coverage: Wall Street Journal, International Business Times, Oil and Gas Journal, The Straight Dope, and Gas 2
Smith, M. D., J. Zhang, and F. C. Coleman (2006).
"Effectiveness of marine reserves for large-scale fisheries management."
Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 63(1): 153-164.
- Dr. S.-Y. Hong Award for Outstanding Article
Book Chapters and Reports
- Huang, Z. and J. Zhang (2018).
“Developing Non-Market Approaches through Regional Cooperation Platforms”.
In: Stavins, R. N. and R. C. Stowe. Interna- tional Cooperation in East Asia to Address Climate Change. Harvard University Belfer Center.
- Auffhammer, M., C.-Y. C. L. Lawell, J. Bushnell, O. Deschenes, and J. Zhang (2016).
"Economic considerations: Cost-effective and efficient climate policies,"
in Bending the Curve: Ten Scalable Solutions for Carbon Neutrality and Climate Stability (V. R. Ramanathan, ed.), vol. 2(1), ch. 4, pp. 1–14, Collabra.
- Zhang, J. (2013).
"The incentives for China's climate actions."
International Affairs Forum, 4(1): 1-5.
- Zhang, J. (2012).
"Delivering environmentally sustainable economic growth: The case of China."
Asia Society Policy Report.
- Media coverage: The Diplomat, CETIN, and Mirror Books
Permanent Working Papers
- Y. Long, J. Wang, K. Wu, and J. Zhang (2014).
"Population exposure to ambient PM2.5 pollution at the subdistrict level in China."
- Zhang, J. (2014).
"Carbon market, agglomeration externalities and wind power investment."
- Zhang, J., S. Zeng, and J. Chen (2004). “A cost-effectiveness analysis for urban wastewater reuse and long-distance water transfer”. China Water & Wastewater 20.11, pp. 22–24.
- Zhang, J., Y. Zhang, J. Chen, and T. Zhang (2003). “Residential willingness-to-pay for reclaimed water”. China Water & Wastewater 19.6, pp. 96–98.
- Zhang, J., J. Zou, and J. Chen (2003). “Emission reduction costs in fuel switching”. In: Studies on Climate Change: Progress and Outlook. Ed. by X. Lu. China Meteorological Press.
- Zhang, J., J. Zou, and J. Chen (2003). “On the dynamic CO2 emission baselines in the thermal power sector”. In: Studies on Climate Change: Progress and Outlook. Ed. by X. Lu. China Meteorological Press.
- Zou, J., J. Chen, J. Zhang, C. Wang, N. Ai, and X. Qi (2001). “Why did the Bush Administration withdraw the U.S. commitment to control CO2 emissions?” Environmental Protection 5, pp. 36–38.